Do you know what a Yurt is? I'd heard of them before and heard of people staying in them on backpacking and camping trips, but I'd never seen one.
The Yurt was a mile and a half from the trail head. The snow on the way in was terrible -- wet and sticky, and the trail was all up hill. It took about 3 hours to get into the Yurt and the kids slept in the 'sled' most of the way. Thank heavens Justin was pulling the sled and kids, not me. We would have turned around and headed back at the first hill if I had my way :)
After getting unloaded, Isaac put on his snowshoes and searched for "winter animals." He found a set of tracks and followed them for about an hour. Grace was content to throw snow at Dad eat chips. Justin kept the fire blazing day and night and we stayed pretty warm considering the overnight low was 9 degrees!!
We left for home around lunch. When we started packing up, both kids bawled. Isaac just kept chanting 'I want to stay another night at the yurt.' I think our kids would live outdoors if I'd let them. The trail was hard packed and slick on the way out. We got back to the car in about 45 minutes! If you're up for winter camping, may I suggest a Yurt? It was the perfect little family vacation. Can't wait for next year!







4 comments:
Sounds fun! we have looked into the "attachments" for our stroller and they are way to expensive. So we will have to have a chat about how you fashioned your own attachments.
wow, that is so cool and adventurous! And that alligator cake is adorable!
How cool! I don't know if I am that brave, but it looks fun!
Looks very fun. I remember a similar trip in the winter, but we stayed at a guard station. Had never heard of a yurt until ya'll started talking about it.
Post a Comment