Isaac and I made a trip down to Jone's Bee this morning to pick up our 2.5 lbs of bees (and a queen). We have both been anxiously awaiting their arrival. The old beekeepers were getting a kick out of Isaac wandering around with his bee brush and asking tons of questions. He insisted the bees sit next to him on the way home.
We got the cage home and installed the bees in their hive. We were a little nervous about getting them into the hive but it went off without a hitch. Surprisingly, the kids have no fear of them. I scooped up a couple of male bees (they don't have stingers) and the kids let those bees crawl all over their arms. I've been reading alot about these creatures lately. I am stunned at how they live and communicate with each other (google: waggle dance).
We are looking forward to large honey harvest in the fall. Save your supermarket honey bears and come over to refill them! Word on the street is that an established hive can produce up to 120 lbs. of honey per year.
If anyone is interested in reading a book about bees, I recommend Book of Bees by Sue Hubbell (not just for keepers, a great all around read). For the in's and out's of beekeeping, there is nothing better than Bee Keeping for Dummies.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
That is sooooo cool! I wish I was closer so I could get me some yummy Rammell honey! I can't wait to read about it in future posts!
Justin, your conversation with Josh about bees the other day seriously inspired him. He wants bees now. And he loves you even more now.
That is way cool! We'll have to come visit again so Bennett can see the bees. I wonder if our HOA allows bees :)
Way cool!! I had no idea that males didn't have stingers!
Post a Comment